Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oaty Goodness

I love Whole Foods.  I currently do not live anywhere remotely close to one, and I miss the organic superstore dearly.  Thanks to the wonderful world wide web, however, I still have access to their culinary genius through their website.  Every recipe from www.wholefoodsmarket.com I have tried has turned out amazing.  Including this one.


I have recently joined the homemade hummus bandwagon.  But the tahini that sits in my fridge looks lonely.  It goes so many days between batches, I know my tahini just wants some kitchen lovin'.  Having the same consistency as any other nut butter, I began thinking . . . surely I can bake with this food.  Doing a quick search on www.foodily.com, I was swiftly led to my well trusted Whole Foods site.



I love making my own oat flour using old-fashioned oats and a food processor, which this recipe advised.  See above, mixed with whole wheat flour and other dry ingredients.


For tahini virgins, I took this opportunity to give it a photo op.  Looks like peanut butter, tastes like sesame seeds!


Tahini blended with other wet ingredients.  Here is the one change I made, using half peach syrup (happened to have some, so why not) and half honey.  Using local honey can help decrease outdoor allergy symptoms.  Some natural medicine with my cookies?  Yes, please.


Okay, I made one other change: chocolate chip addition.  Now the cookies are no longer vegan.  But I can't live without chocolate, and vegan chocolate is not within driving distance for me.  So Hershey's Dark Chocolate will have to do for now.


 
The final result: semi-vegan tahini oat cookies.  For those of you who are scared by the strange words "tahini" and "vegan," the final result was simply scrumptious.

2 comments:

  1. I have used tahini when I make homemade hummus. I would never have thought to put this in cookies. I bet they were good. What a good idea of making oat flour. This is something I need to try.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    I didn't know you made your own hummus. Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete